The skin of the lip is very thin (3-5 cellular layers) compared to typical face skin, which has up to 16 layers. Lips have a layer of “skin” (stratum corneum) like the face but it is exceptionally thin and transparent. Physiologically unique, the lips are predisposed to be the driest spot on our face or body. Most of us need lots of help to keep our lips smooth and moist. Lips also have minimal to no sebaceous glands and zero sweat glands. Physiological factors like smoking, temperature changes, lip licking combined with climate changes (winter dryness, living in an arid climate) all contribute to making dry lips a recurring, persistent problem.
Tips to acquire soft lips?
- When lips become dry, we repetitively lick them. Even though licking your lips may, for a few seconds, make them feel better, the tongue transfers saliva from your mouth to your lips which actually eats away and destroys the thin layer of skin covering the lips. This becomes a vicious cycle leading to painful, cracked, sore lips. So it is best to avoid licking your lips when they begin feeling dry.
- Major causes of dry lips are sun damage. This can be avoided by formulated emollient lip balm, lip gloss, or lipstick with an SPF 15. As with any sunscreen, reapply at regular intervals during long periods of time outdoors.
- Correct underlying Vitamin deficiencies like B12 and B6 which can also lead to lip dryness.
- Make moisture accessible, Carry lip balm to work every day.
- Excessive vitamin A intake from oral supplements and the anti-acne drug isotretinoin is notorious for causing severely dry lips. Hence it is important to use good lip balms like Obagi Z0 Liprebuild.
- Soaking your lips in cucumber water or putting some cucumber slices on your lips is an excellent remedy in order to cure chapped lips. It contains vitamin c, caffeine and a lot of water which essentially hydrates and provides nutrients to the lip skin improving their dry and chapped conditions.
- Avoid Acidic Juices like soft drinks and acid intake is responsible for all the more drying up soaking the natural oils of the skin.
- Drinking water is the base or says a foundation stone to a healthy living, resolving major of your health issues including chapped lips. This will keep your skin hydrated and naturally moisturized.
- People with severe cases of lip dryness can be treated with combination treatments. Dermal filler as also used to hydrate and give volume to lips.Q-laser also helps in pigmentation lightening.
Obagi ZO liprebuild Advanced therapy for lip treatment is one of the best product, as it helps in collagen production, plumps up the lips, provides powerful antioxidant properties to defend lips from continued exposure of the environment. As a result, lips regain their natural, rosy colour.
Do & Don’ts
- Avoid matte lipsticks or long-wearing lip paints (especially in arid or cold climates).
- Avoid lip plumpers that contain irritants such as capsicum (pepper), menthol, menthoxypropanediol, ginger, or mint oils, all of which cause irritation.
- Yeast infections, which must be treated with prescription oral medication.
- The best thing to treat chapped lips is keep covered with anemollient lip balm or gloss.When chapping is severe or if you notice flaking along with a dry feeling, using a gentle lip scrub prior to applying lip balm is a great idea. A night, apply an emollient lip balm or clear thick gloss to your lips.
- Use a pinch of sugar mixed with a bit of olive oil and rub onto lips in small circular motions, then rinse. You can do this up to twice a week for a smoothing, moisturizing lip treatment.
- Be careful with cleansers. While using salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide face wash, coat lips in lip balm before washing to avoid dry-out.
- Avoid spicy or salty food as it can dry out and irritate lips, so limit your intake or coat lips in a non-flavored balm.
- In super cold climate wear a scarf over your mouth. Cold winds break down your skin’s protective barrier and make it more susceptible to dryness.